Saturday, April 11, 2009

Cream 'n Sugar Bakery - cupcakes

Kerry had a coupon for this bakery nearby, so we stopped in and got some cupcakes.

I got a pumpkin cupcake and a red velvet cupcake. (The tops got a little smushed during transport...)


Our consensus was that the cake was good, but the icing was kind of odd. It was alright, but we couldn't put a finger on why precisely it wasn't quite right - I suspect it was because there was more shortening than butter in the recipe, and shortening can leave a funny aftertaste in your mouth.

The red velvet cake was very good. And no artificial coloring! I believe it was just Dutch process cocoa and buttermilk, which gave it enough of a reddish tint without being all fakey.

The cupcakes were also... big? I don't know how to explain it, since they were the normal size cup, width-wise, but they were... tall? As if the cups had been filled to the brim with batter. More bang for your buck, which is a good thing.

I forgot to take a picture of the exterior, but here is how it looks on Google Maps, haha:


It's not a huge place, but I have to pay it props because it has homemade baked goods and candy and coffee, to boot.

And for something completely different, Nick linked to this INGENIOUS blog that I fell in love with. Somehow, it makes sandwiches artistic. Behold, Scanwiches.

No comments: