Sunday, February 8, 2009

Spicy Peanut noodles

This recipe comes from Moosewood Restaurant, which is a pretty well-known vegetarian restaurant in Ithaca, NY. They have a slew of vegetarian-friendly cookbooks,but you can find some of their recipes online, including this one, which I kind of bastardized for my own purposes.

First, boiling the linguine noodles in my rice cooker. You don't have to worry about breaking the noodles (unless you like shorter noodles), just let them sit in the water for a minute, and then the bottom half will get soft, and you can push the top half down into the water.


I also used the steamer basket on my rice cooker to steam some broccoli while the noodles cooked.

Chopping the broccoli:


Whisking the sauce together. Peanut butter, warm water, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, chili oil, and red pepper flakes.


Cutting the cucumber. Half the cucumber vertically, then scoop out the seeds. Cut out slices horizontally, and you have little half-moon cucumber pieces.


Aaand that's basically it. Once the noodles are cooked, the rest is assembly. I cubed some extra firm tofu, and tossed that with the sauce, cucumbers, and noodles. (Drain the noodles, but don't rinse them cold - the sauce will stick better to the unrinsed noodles.) I tossed the broccoli in a quick marinade of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and minced ginger.

Plated up:


The original recipe didn't call for tofu, but I thought that added more... substance? Especially since I don't eat these noodles with anything else but broccoli. The peanut sauce goes great with the tofu, so I really do recommend adding that in. Buon appetito!

No comments: