Friday, January 2, 2009

Smashed Avocado sandwich

Sometimes the simple things are the best. Putting together the right combination of the best ingredients makes for a great simple meal.

So take an avocado.


When picking avocados, go for the ones with dark skin. It's probably best to pick the firmer ones in the store (less likely to bruise or smush during transport) and be patient and let them ripen fully at home (let them sit at room temperature). An avocado is ready to eat when you give it a squeeze in your hand and you feel it give a little.

Toast some of your favorite bread (I like the seven grain wheat bread for this one - nutty breads work well with this). Halve the avocado, and scoop out one half onto the hot toast.



You can store the other half until you're ready to use it. Just squeeze some lemon over it (to keep the avocado from turning color), pop it in a plastic baggie, and put it in the fridge.

Smash the avocado and spread it around the toast. Sprinkle on some salt, black pepper, and a drizzle of a nice olive oil.


Close up your sandwich, serve with some chips (and I like a good tart orange juice as well), and you've got yourself a great little lunch. If you move fast, the toast will still be hot -- and that's just a beautiful thing.


Sure, it doesn't sound like a lot, but something about the combination of the nutty, buttery avocado with the sweet olive oil and the hot crunchy toast... It's a sandwich I've come to love. (Romaine lettuce and plum tomatoes also make great additions.)

2 comments:

Daina said...

Hi! I found this blog via Mitra and just wanted to let you know this post inspired me to make my very own avocado sandwich! I'd made them, but not in a while, and it was a great re-discovery. I personally like to use a dark, herby vinaigrette for the dressing.

The biscuit in your most recent post looks great. I've done rolls, so maybe I will get up the courage to do biscuits, too.

(( K@Y )) said...

Oh that's something new to me.
I never thought of putting it in a avocado, I should give it a try.