Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cheddar Cheese biscuits

Biscuits are pretty easy to make if you just take a few extra minutes to prep the dough. Seriously, they're one of the easiest baked goods to make - how else did they get on the dinner table, every day, for generations? So I don't want to hear any more about biscuits that come out of a cardboard tube, ya hear?

First, whisk around your flour, baking powder, and salt. (You don't even have to sift!) Then, cut some cold butter into bits. You can shortcut this by grating the cold butter on a cheese grater (I've shown you this before). But I couldn't find my cheese grater, alas, so I just cut the butter into bits.


Then, using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour. This sounds weird, but go with it. It's not a baking euphemism -- literally, rub the butter between your fingers. Just make sure all the bits of butter are covered and incorporated.

Then, pour in your buttermilk, or milk.


Toss the mixture together with a fork, until it starts to clump together. Then, add the shredded cheddar cheese. I like to use sharp cheddar here, because the flavor comes through better.


Mix all that together, and knead the dough a couple of times until it all pulls together like this:


Using a light touch (you don't need to knead it to death), flatten the dough out with a rolling pin until it's about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out biscuits with a biscuit cutter or a drinking glass. You know how it goes: press, turn, and pop out.


The biscuits, ready to go into the oven. (And yes, I know, I am wasting trees by using parchment paper here, but I have a whole roll in my kitchen that no one is using.)


And there you go. In 15 minutes, you've got hot biscuits for dinner.


Remember, no more eating out of cardboard tubes!

2 comments:

Tina Hu said...

These look awesome! Can I have the recipe? Also, do you know where your friend bought that awesome bento box? I've been looking and all I can find is really cheesy Hello Kitty stuff...

Jen T said...

Ohhh, the recipe is in a book! I will copy it out for you when I get home, but I am away at school at the moment. Hopefully sometimes in April I will have it for you.

My friend got the box from The Container Store, actually. I think she asked an associate for a lunch container box.