Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ramen (but better)

Umm... hi? I know, it's been months! But you have to forgive me, as I was swamped with schoolwork once the first semester of law school kicked in. Hopefully, I'll be able to post more regularly from here on out, as law school supposedly gets "easier" as you go along. (But please note the air quotes.)

I have accumulated a fair amount of food photos to show you (things I made over these past few months that I never got a chance to post), so settle back and enjoy the ride. We'll start off easy with the dorm room staple - ramen!

I um... eat ramen a lot more than I should. :\ I make myself feel better about this bad habit by making it as healthy as I can. If you think the following recipe is unusual... well, some variant of this is the way my family always makes ramen. Some sort of vegetable green and meat/eggs always get added in. It's a good way to use up leftovers. (Say no plain noodles! That's just boring.)

First off, I get the water boiling in my rice cooker. (Rice cookers are not just for rice! Just dump some water in there, and turn it on and put on the cover, and you'll have a happy boil in no time.) Once it's at a boil, I add the noodles and seasoning. I only use about half the seasoning packet that comes with the ramen. There's a lot of unnecessary sodium in there, and you really are better off flavoring the ramen as you like it.

I also add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach. (Now you know what to do with those leftover salad greens, right?)


I always have a couple of hardboiled eggs handy for a quick breakfast. While the noodles cook, I slice up a couple and put them in my soup bowl. Once the noodles are soft, I dump them into the bowl, on top of the eggs. Then some seasoning with ground black pepper and Sriracha hot sauce, and there you go - a meal fit for a king.


Nothing better on a cold day, let me tell you.

No comments: