Friday, September 5, 2008

Wheat Berry Waldorf Salad

This salad recipe comes from Whole Foods Market. It's my favorite thing to buy in their salad/take-away section, so I was pleased to find a copy of the recipe online.

Wheat berries are a mysterious food to me. (To many, I suppose.) But they are delicious, so I will let them continue to live in enigma so long as I can keep eating them. They are essentially the entire wheat kernel (kind of like a kernel of corn), minus the hull.

When you buy them raw at your local natural foods store, they look something like this:


I suppose that you normally boil them, but seeing as how I don't have a stove, I find that a rice cooker works wonderfully, too.

This is where the mystery comes in, for me. Wheat berries start out looking like brown rice, but then, after cooking, they become these shiny, plump little... berries.


I can't really describe what they taste like, but they taste just how you think they would, based on appearances. (And who says you can't judge a book by its cover?) Toothy, slightly chewy -- making them great in salad.

The Waldorf salad has its own little history, but this version of it includes apples, raisins, and walnuts.

Cutting up the apple:


Then, after all the seasonings and such are mixed in:


Ta-da! It's super easy to make, and it keeps for a decent amount of time. It's a good alternative to oatmeal in the morning, because I find that it keeps me reasonably satiated until lunch time.

You can find the recipe here, which I uploaded with my adaptations for dorm room purposes.

No comments: