Sunday, August 3, 2008

Triple Berry Upside-Down cake

Upside-down strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry yogurt cake.

Sophie over at Key Ingredient asked me to participate in their July berry recipe contest. My submission for this was basically what I felt like eating at the time -- I wanted a nice, dense cake with good berry flavor.

First off, I greased and floured a spring-form pan. Then, I lined it with berries that I had tossed with sugar and lemon zest. (Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.) Too bad they won't look this pretty in the end:


The cake is a yogurt cake based on Ina Garten's recipe for lemon yogurt cake (sans lemon syrup). This one I enjoy a lot because it has a nice most and dense crumb, which is exactly what I'm looking for here. There is no butter in this recipe. Only yogurt and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.

The dry:


The wet:


All blended together and poured over the berries:


Immediately after it comes out of the oven. Don't worry if it's messy! It actually makes it look nice and homemade (in my opinion).


Inverted onto a serving plate. I dusted this with confectioner's sugar, but that's up to you. I like it for the pretty factor, but the extra sweetness isn't really necessary.


Serve with fresh whipped cream and enjoy!


For once, I actually typed up my recipe. (I had to, since it was required for the contest, hah.) I am normally too lazy. But if you would like the recipe, it's right here. This might go without saying, but that berry combination isn't set in stone. Use whatever proportions you like! (This works for any fruit, really. Don't be limited to pineapple! Try it with fresh peaches -- I guarantee it will be awesome.)

No comments: