Thursday, August 14, 2008

Perfect Chocolate Chip cookies

No, really.

Pardon me while I wax philosophical for a moment.

Sometimes I feel that the measure of a real baker is if they can make a great chocolate chip cookie. You'd think something so basic wouldn't be so challenging, but there's a lot that can go wrong with cookies -- moreso, even, than cakes, in my opinion.

There are no other baked goods on which perfection rests more heavily on mouthfeel. Bakery-style chocolate chip cookies have to go the whole nine -- they have to be soft on the inside, crisp on the outside, chewy, and not overbaked. (Unless, of course, you enjoy Chips Ahoy cookies. If that is the case, I'm not sure why you're reading this.) If you think about it, it's not hard to replicate the taste of a chocolate chip cookie. The difficulty is all in mouthfeel.

I had given up on cookies, because it made me sad that I want to be a baker and I still couldn't make a good chocolate chip cookie from scratch. No more, dear friends.

I heard a lot of great things about the chocolate chip cookie recipe from Baking Illustrated, so I decided to forgo my trepidation and tried the recipe out.

Results? See for yourself:


It's everything that you would think would be contradictory in one cookie: soft, crisp, chewy, and tasty. I am in loooooveeee with this recipe. It's seriously perfect. Let me backtrack and show you some other pictures.

Mixing in the chips:


Ready to be baked:


And again, just because they're so pretty:


I am not sure what it is. I suspect it has to do with the fact that the brown sugar to white sugar ratio in this recipe is 2:1. (If you want the recipe, let me know. Too lazy to type it up right now.)

Whatever it is, I am done. I am happy. And chocolate chip cookies no longer scare me.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Ohhhh, those look so awesome. Would love a recipe, as I've pretty much given up on chocolate chip cookies!

Jen T said...

I actually got this recipe from a real paper copy of the cookbook, but by some miracle, I found the recipe online, too! (Saves me the trouble of retyping it...)

Hope this link works for you: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=1270&bdc=15240