Sunday, August 17, 2008

Cinnamon Buns

Cinnamon buns kind of take a lot of time. They're usually made out of a yeast dough, so it requires a lot of inactive prep time to let the dough rise. There's no way around it -- if you want fresh cinnamon buns for breakfast, I suggest waking up early and then taking a nap while the dough rises. (Which is what I did.)

The recipe I found on allrecipes.com called for heating milk, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan. Then you stir in yeast, flour, and salt.

After the mixture rises for an hour:


Then you add more flour, and knead out the dough into a rectangle.

Brush on a layer of melted butter:


Sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar:


Roll up the rectangle and pinch the seam. Cutting the rolls:


I placed them in a buttered baking pan. I spaced the rolls pretty close together so that all the sides would connect as they baked -- that way, they're nice and soft on all sides.

After the buns bake:


I made a quick icing out of confectioner's sugar, milk, coffee, and vanilla. I love how easy icing is to make -- take confectioner's sugar and a little liquid, and you've got icing. I suspect it has to do with the fact that confectioner's sugar contains some cornstarch...


After the cinnamon buns are iced:


There you have it! Soft and yummy cinnamon buns.


Totally worth the wait!

2 comments:

Pat said...

Try using real Cinnamon in your recipe and reduce on the sugar.

The Cinnamon that we buy in the US is actually Cassia.

Cassia has a chemical called coumarin which could be toxic.

Please click the below link to read more

www.bfr.bund.de/cd/8487

Jen T said...

Okay Pat, I don't really appreciate the condescending tone. I'm so irritated with you I almost want to delete your comment.

1. How do you know I'm not already using real cinnamon in the recipe?
2. What business is it of yours how much sugar I want to use?
3. Why do you assume I don't already know about cassia? I'm Chinese, and cassia is used in traditional Chinese medicine to regulate insulin levels (although its efficacy is questionable).