Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Apple Pecan Turnovers

I had a roll of phyllo dough leftover from that time I made baklava. It's been sitting in my freezer, waiting to be used, so I made apple turnovers.

I think turnovers are a good recipe to introduce the use of phyllo, a pastry that intimidates people for some reason. The only thing you really need to remember is to let the phyllo sheets thaw completely before using, and to keep a wet towel covering the phyllo while you're working so it doesn't dry out. (Well, I guess that's two things.)

I found that two large apples was plenty to make 8 turnovers. Cutting up the apples:


The original recipe I found for these turnovers suggested using dried cranberries. I didn't have any on hand, but I had pecan pieces, so I used those. Cooking the apples with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, pecans, and a little butter:


While I let the apple/pecan mixture cool down, I prepared my phyllo, which had already been thawed. I placed one sheet of phyllo down, and brushed it with melted butter. Then I repeated the process with two more sheets of phyllo. I sprinkled the last sheet with ground almonds (the original recipe called for crushed cookies, but I didn't have any).

Then, I used a sharp knife (really sharp! so the phyllo won't tear) to cut the sheets in half lengthwise. The recipe I used said you could get 4 strips out of one set of sheets, but I thought that would be way too skinny -- I didn't want teeny-tiny turnovers...

Spoon some of the (now cool) filling at one end of the phyllo strip.


Then, turn it over! Just fold it into a right triangle, and keep flipping it over until you reach the end of the strip. Don't worry -- by the time you get to the end, you'll have flipped it enough times to cover all the open edges.


I brushed the top side with more melted butter, and sprinkled more ground almonds on top.

All the turnovers, ready to bake:


And ready to eat:


These aren't hard to make, trust me! And they're delicious. Like little pies that fit in your hand.

4 comments:

scmom (Barbara) said...

Those are beautiful. Do you think they'd be as good without the nuts?

Jen T said...

I enjoy nutty desserts, but I think this would be good with anything that tastes good with apples -- raisins, dried cranberries, or even cheese.

Carolyn E. Blakeney said...

Just bought some local Summer Rambo (tart) apples, which are supposed to be good varieties in Maryland, and was thinking about what to do with them. Think they're going into turnovers now, thanks! Also, for cutting phyllo, a good sharp pizza wheel is the way to go, and easy; there shouldn't be any danger of tearing.

Jen T said...

Glad I could inspire! And you're right -- a pizza cutter would be a great way to get this cut neatly! Haha, another thing to my kitchen item wishlist.