Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mint Swirl brownies

Brownies are pretty easy to make, actually. You can find lots of good recipes on allrecipes.com to suit your brownie desires. Whether you like cakey, chewy, sticky sweet... I guarantee you they're all pretty decent recipes. Fight the temptation to use box mixes!

I think my recipe actually came from allrecipes, too -- and it's my favorite. It's nice and moist, but not sickeningly fudgy. (It also gets better after sitting overnight for some reason. Straight out of the oven, it's like chocolate cake, but as it cools and settles, it's a nice thick brownie.)

The wet and dry ingredients. (The cocoa powder is underneath the flour, so you can't see it, but it's there.)


All mixed together:


I whipped together a mint icing using milk, confectioner's sugar, and peppermint extract. I also added some drops of green food coloring in for posterity's sake.


I drizzled the mint icing over half the brownies, since my sister doesn't like mint brownies.


Then, after the brownies baked, I was sad to see that the swirls were not very noticeable. So I spread the rest of the mint mixture on top (like icing) while the brownies were still warm. If you spread it thinly, the top will dry and crackle. I don't know why it does, but I think they look prettier this way.


The green color didn't come out that great, so if you want them to be REALLY green, you need to make it a whole lot greener from the start.

But they tasted awesome. Like an Andes chocolate bar... in brownie form...


I cut them up and wrapped them in candy gift bags to distribute. :)

No comments: