Sunday, July 27, 2008

Cherries (an ode)

Sometimes I get in these moods where I just want to eat and eat and eat a particular thing until I get sick of it (or burst, whichever comes first). Then I don't want to eat that thing again for... months. Luckily, it's usually something healthy -- although I did have a time where I could NOT get enough of those White Cheddar Natural Cheetos...

And luckily, this time, I am in the mood for something both healthy and in season! (Well... the season is ending for them now. Booo.) Folks, I'm talking cherries.

Look at these beautiful Bing cherries I got on sale today ($2.50/lb! not bad):


They're just... fun to eat. They're like peanuts, but sweet. And unlike peanuts, you can eat a lot of them without getting a funny greasy taste in your mouth. My analogy is terrible, but maybe you catch my meaning. Read all you like about cherries over here and here.

Did you know (according to Wikipedia), Bing cherries are named after a Chinese foreman who worked for the horticulturalist who developed the cultivar? Lucky for us the dude was nice enough to name it after his foreman. Otherwise they'd be called Lewelling cherries, and that's no fun at all.

You really don't want to know how many cherries I packed away this past week. Still not tired of them yet!

No comments: