Sunday, May 11, 2008

Vegan Tropics cookies

Vegan cookies with banana, pecans, and coconut.

For Nanda's birthday, I wanted to make her something vegan, since she always shares her vegan goodies with me. So I did some research about vegan baking (something I had never tried before). I found some great tips on The Post Punk Kitchen website (I already own this girl's cookbook, which is great, too).

I wanted to naturally make vegan cookies -- meaning, I didn't want to cop out and use an egg replacer. So I went the banana route, which can be a good substitute for eggs. (Half a banana per egg.) I also used vegan margarine in the place of butter. Which is basically all you need to worry about in terms of making cookies vegan! Yay!


Now, the problem with putting banana in anything is that it makes the whole thing taste like banana. Indeed. It doesn't matter much in something like... brownies, because the chocolate does well to mask the banana. Well, here, I went with the banana flavor, instead of fighting it. Nanda isn't a fan of chocolate, so I incorporated some shredded coconut, pecans, and rolled oats, to make a sort of tropical-themed cookie.

As they're waiting to be put in the oven:


The banana makes the cookies come out a lovely golden color. And the coconut and oats give the cookies a great chewiness that I love. (I love cookies that are crisp on the outside and chewy inside. And these were! Yay!)


That really wasn't too bad at all, for my first attempt at vegan goods.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I would LOVE this recipe - if you could share it, I would be eternally grateful!!