Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bread alone...

I've been on a bread-baking kick lately, and I found this link (actually, I enjoy reading her blog in general) and this link provide some useful tips for bread baking.

Why am I baking bread, when it requires so much time and effort, and when it costs just a few dollars a loaf at the store? Well, why do you bake anything? I find it satisfying to bake my own bread. It's very... basic and hands-on, you know?

(And take a look at the ingredients list of your next store-bought loaf of bread. Bet you a dozen cupcakes that there's high fructose corn syrup and a bunch of other things you can't even pronounce in there.)

I love baking. I like baking better than cooking, honestly. There's a sort of... magic in baking. You put a whole bunch of stuff together and it all transforms into something completely different. Sometimes, I feel that, with cooking, you get what you started off with -- just cut-up and hot. There's no surprise element in cooking. And you can fuddle with cooking as you go. But baking? Now that's a horse of a different color.

No comments: