Sunday, March 9, 2008

Pina Colada cupcakes

Pineapple cake with coconut buttercream, topped with toasted coconut.

For some strange reason, this cupcake fell together really easily. I had planned to make a pineapple cake for some time. And my mom just happened to buy a whole pineapple last week -- and I didn't even tell her about my pineapple cake! So I have a lot of fresh pineapple to eat at the moment. A sign from the baking gods, I suppose.

I took a normal yellow cake recipe, and replaced half a cup of the milk with half a cup of pineapple puree.

Sometimes, I am too lazy to get out my food processor, and set it up, and clean it up. So I just finely chopped some pineapple by hand until it was mushy. Pretty good for a hand job, eh? (I can hear the peanut gallery snickering. Hush!)


The icing was a straight vanilla buttercream, with a lot of sweetened coconut tossed in. I cut down on the confectioner's sugar by a cup, though, because I added about a cup and a half of sweetened coconut. If you have any coconut rum on hand, this would be a good place to toss in some (maybe 3/4 of a shot?). I didn't have any, so we're serving virgin pina coladas today.


While the cupcakes were baking, I also toasted some of the sweetened coconut in a nonstick skillet, until it was brown and crunchy.

And here's the final product, all assembled.


Me, personally, I always like to do coconut icing by hand. It looks better, to show the texture of the coconut. It's also kind of difficult to pipe coconut icing -- it gets stuck in the pastry tip!

1 comment: