Friday, March 28, 2008

I love you, Alton Brown

I have a new favorite baking book! (I seem to have a new one every week, actually.) But honestly, everyone. If you don't know the first thing about baking (and are a bit of a geek like yours truly), get this book by Alton Brown.

For those who don't know, Alton Brown is sort of like the Bill Nye of the culinary world. (Catch his show, Good Eats, on Food Network if you can.) This book, a sequel to his cooking book, is specifically about the science of baking. It's about the hows and whys of baking. I looovee this book. *hugs it*

It has very detailed explanations of baking processes -- without being boring or confusing. And cute hand-drawn explanations and analogies abound. There are also recipes in here, but I really value the book for its baking background and science knowledge.

To illustrate how great this book is, look at this (take note of the line in bold):


And look at the accompanying illustration. Flour granules in raincoats! Awww!


I mean, really. How can you not love this book?

2 comments:

We Are Never Full said...

This is great to know! We love Alton. I'm not a big fan of most food network shows, so i don't watch often anymore, maybe that's why I didn't know he had this book coming out. Thanks for the inside scoop! I'm a horrid baker, so this may be the prefect present for me!

amy @ http://www.weareneverfull.com

shippo said...

I Love love luuuuurve Alton Brown! I want to get his cookbooks too.... Hmm, maybe my next purchase, mm? :D