Sunday, March 16, 2008

Four Clover sablées

Shortbread cookies with clover honey and green decorating sugar.

I had intended on making festive cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day, but, while perusing my new favorite book, a cookie idea occurred to me instead, and I wanted to try it out.

Sablée is French for "sandy" -- which gives you an idea about the cookie. It's a shortbread cookie -- very buttery and crumbly. There's actually not much in the dough except for flour, sugar, and butter. And even then, there's not a whole lot of sugar, either. I added a dollop of clover honey and some vanilla extract for added flavor.

For some holiday spirit, I took out a chunk of the dough and colored it with food coloring gel (kelly green). I pressed the white dough into a long rectangle. Then, I rolled the bit of dough into four long rods, about the same length of the rest of my dough rectangle.


Then, I stacked the four green rods (my intent here is to make a clover shape) and rolled them up inside the rest of the dough.


I patted it down and shaped the thing into an even cylinder. Then, I wrapped it in plastic and put it in the fridge overnight. (Shortbread cookies like these are best if you can let them chill for a while before baking.)

I stored the log in an old paper towel tube (which I cut open with scissors to make it easier to put the dough inside). This keeps the log from settling down and losing its round shape.


Then! Next day, I coated the roll of dough with egg wash and sprinkled it all over with green decorating sugar.


I cut the dough crosswise into slices with a sharp knife, about 1/4 inch thick. It's very important to cut the slices at the same thickness. I would use a ruler to score the log before beginning to cut. If the slices are not the same size, some cookies will get burnt while others are still not done.


Ta-da! Okay, so my clovers didn't come out as precisely as I would've liked. If I had more time, I would recommend popping the four rods in the fridge for a few hours before rolling up the dough log, so they maintain their round shape better.

Serve with a nice hot coffee. Even Irish coffee, if you like. ;) Happy St. Patrick's Day!

2 comments:

Greg Comstock said...

Happy St Patricks day!

shippo said...

NICE! Looks pretty awesomeee... I was gonna make cookies for St. Patty's Day, but... Uhh, never got around to it. -__-;;; I did make blueberry muffins though... :D!!!