Sunday, March 9, 2008

Easy being green?

I bought these baking cups from My Organic Market in Rockville, the other day. (My new favorite store, by the way. I love it. I can get organic produce at reasonable prices. Much better than Whole Foods, which sometimes makes me itch with yuppie hives. Never mind that I am probably a yuppie, too...)


I like them! And apparently, they decompose easier and are better for the environment. I don't know if I like the brand name itself, though. "If You Care"? It's like it's threatening you. If you don't buy this product, you obviously don't care!

M.O.M. had some baking cups made from recycled paper, too, that I want to try next time.

While we're on the subject of being green. For the bakers out there who are rinsing frosting and oil and butter down their sinks -- please don't. The oil in our oceans and rivers don't just come from industrial spills. A lot of it comes from the drain offs of our own sinks. Before washing your oily dishes, try to scrape off as much of the frosting or butter or what-have-you into the trash. A small step that will help the environment and will actually save you some trouble (because trying to wash frosting out is hard!) I recommend a flexible spatula (rubber?), which is excellent for scraping sticky things out of bowls.

No comments: