Monday, February 25, 2008

Tiramisu cupcakes

White cake cupcakes sprinkled with expresso, with mocha cream cheese frosting.

So, these cupcakes attempt to recreate the flavors of tiramisu, which is traditionally lady fingers dipped in coffee liquor, layered with mascarpone cheese and cocoa powder.

I start off with my favorite white cake recipe, and then I dab some espresso on top of each cake. (You can use actual coffee liquor, too, but I didn't feel like coughing up the money for it.) For those without an espresso machine? Just buy a couple of shots from your local coffee shop.


Depending on how much coffee flavor you're going for, you can put in more. Make sure you have a denser white cake, which can hold up to the added liquid.

My cupcakes, jazzed up with espresso:


Then! I added some cocoa powder (about 1/4 cup?) and about a shot of espresso to my favorite cream cheese frosting recipe. Now, I am normally not a fan of frosting. But this frosting? OH GOD. I love this frosting like no tomorrow. It tastes like cheesecake. I had to try REALLY HARD to not get any on my fingers. Otherwise, I'd just lick it off. :\ (I don't normally have that temptation with regular frosting. But this? Oh gosh. I love this frosting.)

If I were to change anything about the recipe... I'd probably add more sugar to the frosting. I ran out of powdered sugar in the middle of making the frosting, so I only put in 2 and maybe 1/3 cup of sugar, rather than the normal 3 cups. It tastes good on its own, but paired with the sweet white cake, the cream cheese flavor stands out a little too much.

Anyway! The finished product (topped with a dusting of cocoa powder):

1 comment:

shippo said...

girl, you're making me hungry for some sweets with your posts...! looks delicious as always~ ^__^