Friday, February 15, 2008

Sweetheart Kiss cupcakes

Dark chocolate cupcakes with raspberry vanilla icing.

I love the pairing of raspberry and chocolate, and I thought it'd be a nice Valentine-themed cupcake to make.

Look! Delicious cake batter. It looks like chocolate pudding! (It looks milky, but the photo is sorta inaccurately bright. The cake itself turns out nice and dark.)


This cupcake gets its character from the icing. Once AGAIN, I was running short on time, so I didn't make my own buttercream frosting and I used store-bought vanilla icing. I doctored it up with my raspberry concoction. It takes... about a third of a cup of raspberry preserves, mixed with a teaspoon of water, and a teaspoon of lemon juice. I like to cut the sweetness of the jam with some lemon, especially since you're pairing it with sugary icing.

This is how I meant for the cupcakes to look:


But you know what? That took freaking FOREVER to do, so in the end, I mixed the raspberry sauce with the icing and topped the whole thing with mini "kisses" (ie - semisweet chocolate chips). So the majority of the cupcakes ended up like this:


Welp, next up are Iris's birthday cupcakes, and I have all Saturday afternoon to make them, so I won't be lazy and I will actually make my own buttercream frosting, and pipe it nicely. Stay tuned! And happy belated Valentine's Day!

No comments: