Saturday, February 16, 2008

Neapolitan cupcakes

White cake cupcakes with swirled strawberry and chocolate buttercream frosting.

These cupcakes are meant to taste like Neapolitan ice cream. :) First, you start off with a plain white cake. (Not yellow cake, I have to point out. I am not sure why, but the white cake flavor tends to remind me more of ice cream.)

Look at the pretty white cakes! :) The naked cupcake. It holds such potential.


Next! Onto the buttercream. Buttercream frosting is normally a mixture of butter, confectioner's sugar, whipping cream, and a little pinch of salt and a dash of vanilla. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, and that uses a bit of shortening, too. I find that it holds up REALLY well for piping, but I am not a huge fan of the taste cuz I think it's kinda... filmy? Oily. Still working on finding a better one.

I made two batches -- one with strawberry jam mixed in (and a dash of lemon juice), and one with cocoa powder mixed in (and extra whipping cream, to alleviate the dryness of the powder). This is the strawberry batch:


Then! My favorite part. Decorating. I filled the piping bag with half chocolate and half strawberry, used a big star tip, and voila! An "ice cream" swirl. I topped the whole thing off with a pink fondant flower.


So there you have it. Like ice cream, but in the form of a cupcake.

1 comment:

Iris said...

These cupcakes were orgasmic!! Thanks for making them for my birthday, Jen!! Keep up the good work :-)